Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Nurgle objective marker

I've modelled the first of my Nurgle objective markers, and I'm pretty pleased with it, though as usual with my conversions it doesn't quite look like it did when I was imagining it. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I'm calling it the Tree of Decay.

Here's a step by step guide to how I made it. It's pretty simple to do:

1 - I got some wire, drilled a hole in a base and inserted the wire. I then clothed the wire in milliput to bulk it out, and added a blob underneath the base to secure the wire. I prefer to use milliput for this kind of bulk work, but there's no reason you couldn't use green stuff instead. There's some wire sticking out of the top here which I cut off later. Here's how it looks (slightly phallic at this stage...)


2 - Next, stop to add in your gribbly bits. This is pretty simple, just roll long sausages of green stuff and wrap them around the core. Make sure the sausages are thinner at each end. As it's tree-ish, it'll need to be wider at the base (for the roots) and at the top (for the branches). Keep going until you are happy with the look. Here's mine at this stage:


3 - Add details as you see fit. You could leave it smooth, but I added some texture to each tentacle with the sharp point of a modelling tool. You could also add boils, warts, etc. Here's the finished product, ready for the paintbrush:


And there we are, a nice simple conversion. You could use this technique for other uses. Scaled up with more wire, you could make some Chaos-y trees for scenery for either 40k or Fantasy. Scale this down and you can use it as replacement limbs for Nurgle champions, daemon princes by replacing the arm or leg with something like this and keeping the original foot or hand.

I'll post more pictures when it's painted.

2 comments:

RonSaikowski said...

It's Nurgle for sure... it's just some kind of "growth."

Of course that's how most all of us explain Nurlge anyway.

Il like the texture you added too.

Cawshis Clay said...

*shudder*

When I first looked at the objective, I thought you had modeled a pile of maggots!

It's a strange hobby to instead be slightly relieved when it turns out to just be some warty-disgusting tumorous growth. :)

Nice work!