Tuesday 31 March 2009

My first attempt at magnetizing a miniature

(Sorry about the layout in this post, couldn't get the pictures to go right with the text).

Some progress updates on my first attempt at using magents with miniatures. It's a great idea, I only wish I had known about it sooner. I'm not going to tell you how to magentize stuff, as I'm only a novice, but the best tutorial I've seen is over at All Things 40K (under Hobby on the left column). I got the magnets on ebay for about £2 for 50.

My first attempt was a gun servitor, firstly with heavy bolter:



...and then with multi-melta:



I used 3mmx0.5mm magents for these. There will be a heavy plasma gun as well, but the weapon needs some work before it can be used. The multi-melta points down as it turns out they're heavier at the front. I may put some green stuff on the back of the gun to balance it out.

Flushed with success, I went ambitious and went to magentize my Inquisitor Lord Coteaz based conversion.

First up, here he is with plasma pistol and power stake:



...and now with power stake and combi-plasma...



..power stake and bolter....






...and my personal favourite, combi-flamer and power sword.






The Inquisitor was a bit harder, as I was using 2mm x 1mm magnets which were more difficult to work with than the 3mm ones I'd used on the servitor. The hardest piece to magentize was the combi-plasma as it was too narrow for the magent. To get round it, I inserted a piece of wire into the gun instead to get it to magnetize. Overall, easy and enjoyable, I wish I'd known about it sooner.

1 comment:

oni said...

Lookin' good. Magnets are great just be sure to always check your polarities as it can be a hard lesson to learn.