Thursday 5 March 2009

Modelling ideas for Inquisitorial Retinues: Inquisitors

Just a post today with some thoughts on an upcoming project I'm going to be working on over the next month or two. I've not got any painted miniature updates this week as I'm working away and haven't been able to paint anything. Anyway, back on topic: Witch Hunter Inquisitors. For me, the chance to model and paint Inquisitors and their retinues is one of the best things about the WH list as it gives some really good scope for conversion work and putting in models you wouldn't normally use. I thought I'd share some ideas around each of the members of the retinue and the models I'm thinking of using for them. I'll probably split this over a few posts to avoid them being too massive.

Most (probably all) the models I'm going to talk about will be GW models, as this is a range I know best. I'd love to hear from anyone who has ideas which use other model ranges.

-Inquisitor: I'm not a huge fan on the stock WH inquisitor that GW make:
It's nice enough, but not unique from every other players inquisitor. Inquisitors are individuals, and should be modelled up as individuals (a bit like Daemon Princes and Chaos Lords). I also don't think this one looks "lordly" enough to be an Inquisitor Lord.

Instead of this figure, I'm going to use the Inquisitor Lord Coteaz model with some conversion work. Technically, he's a Daemon Hunter Inquisitor, but with some light conversion work this won't matter so much. Anyway, any Inquisitor going into battle with an SoB army is going to want to put some armour on, unlike the WH Inquisitor above. I've got a few things planned for the Coteaz model which I'm still crystalizing in my mind, so I'll post more on that when I'm closer to converting him. I particularly like what Andy Hoare did with his Inquisitor which you can see on the GW website, so I might do something along these lines. As the model is armoured, then I think Space Marine bitz (arms, weapons etc) should fit in pretty well with him.

The limited edition Gideon Lorr model from GW would also be a possibility, but you can expect to pay £20+ for this one on ebay.


3 comments:

The Inner Geek said...

I've always liked the Coteaz model a lot.... I may have to paint one up myself!

I've got the other Witch Hunter Inquisitor model that was based off that one. He has a bionic hand pointing instead of a sword, and a plasma pistol instead of the flame gun thingy. But, alas, still no armor. I like to think that he's got a decent field of some sort.

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

I've only painted one Inquisitor once. A blast to do, even gave him a acustom base to stand on.

I just wish I knew how to use them better in 40k.

Gavin Conway said...

I agree with you about Inquisitors being individuals, i have been a massive fan of the Inquisition for years and the DeamonHunters and WitchHunters do provide lots of scope for conversions.

Although i do have a good collection of Inquisitors, which ranges from the first =I= models produced by GW back in 1988 - 89 for Rogue Trader right through to my latest purchase, Inquisitor Hector from Forge World. Still, im always on the lookout for any opertunity to convert other models into =I=.

Im really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.