Wednesday 13 May 2009

Zombies

Jawaballs has done a couple of excellent posts on "Surviving the Zombie Apocalype" a subject I love. My wife doesn't seem overly concerned by the inevitable zombie apocalypse (leaving it to me I suppose), although this is the woman who did stock pile bottled water after 9/11, because Yorkshire was almost certainly going to be Osama bin Laden's next target.

Anyway, I like zombies. Alot. I posted a while ago about the TV series Dead Set which if you haven't seen, you really should, so Jawaball's post (and Salsa Prime's Zombie Survival blog) has insipired another zombie related post.

I've watched a truck load of zombie related films over the last couple of months. Here's a few:

Zombie Flesh Eaters: Classic. Watch this again yesterday as my Dad got me the uncut version from Europe. There's an eyeball piercing scene which had been deleted the first time I saw it on the UK version.
The Dead Hate the Living: Zombie in-jokes but not much else really. Pretty average.
Severed: Unusual premise and setting (it's set in a forest at a logging camp) but the action is lets it down as you can't really make out what actually happening, the camera moves around so much.
Zombies Anonymous: Great premise for this one, the dead are returning to life but they have the same personality, intelligence as before (they're now "mortally challenged"). Falls off a bit at the end, but the early part is good.
Zombies Strippers: Zombies, strippers, Jenna Jameson, Robert Englund. What's not to like? This film works on the "Cheesy Peas" principle that if you like two things seperately, you'll love them even more when they're together.
Zombie Flesh Eaters 2: Pretty bad, I've got the third part ready to watch.
Mortuary: Starts better than it ends, this is Lovecraft inspired, and has some zombie action. It's got Tasha Yar out of Star Trek:TNG in it.
Day of the Dead 2: Contagium: Bilge. Bears no resemblance or relevance of the original film, avoid this unless you're a zombie completist (like me).

That's some anyway, I'll spare you the rest. Zombie Flesh Eaters is the only one I'd watch again readily, but some of the others pass the time.

I'm always open for zombie suggestions (books, films etc), so post 'em if you got 'em.

No comments: