Wednesday 5 August 2009

Dremel/Multi-tool tips

I got a Dremel (well, the Draper version of it) for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd give a test run with something I'm converting (actually an objective marker for my Witch Hunters). However, I really struggled to get anything done, at least with the attachments I got with it as there's no explanation with it of what the bits can be used for or anything.

I sanded some milliput, no problems there.

Next, I decided to try and cut some metal with a cutting wheel. Epic fail. The thing wouldn't cut and the mini heated up so hot I couldn't touch it so I ended up having to cut with a saw instead.

Finally, I thought I'd grind some excess metal off which I hadn't been able to cut. Tried a grinding point, that didn't work, tried a diamond grinding point, seemed a tiny bit better.

Anyone got any tips as to where I'm going wrong, or what attachments are best for miniature work? I have one of the flexible drive shaft attachment which is designed for detail work

2 comments:

Gyros Precision Tools said...

You might want to try the Gyros Fiberglass Reinforced Cut Off Wheels - they come in three different formulations, material specific and come in diameters from 1" to 2-1/2". Or, their Miniature Circular Saw Blades are wonderful for wood and soft metals. For more detailed engraving work with your flex shaft, try the little Engraving Burrs.

Anonymous said...

I have a Dremel, but unless I'm sawing off an extremity or something that I'm sure won't damage another part of the mini, I stay away from the cutoff wheels or mini sawblades. For taking off stuff that's closer to the body, you're going to need the cutters (no, not the crazy emo kids).

Clicky!