Friday 18 July 2008

New podcasts and 40K 5th Edition

I've listened to a couple of new editions of podcasts this week. 40K Radio have got a new edition out which they've recorded on location and covering some parts of 5th edition and it's excellent as always. There's also a new edition of Podhammer out as well where they're talking about the Brettonian army list. I don't play WHFB myself (I do own the 7th ed rule book though) but Podhammer is always an excellent listen.

My new Warhammer 40000 5th Edition rule book arrived on Wednesday. I had hoped to get it a bit quicker as I'd pre-ordered it form Total Wargamer but that was not to be. Anyway, I haven't had much time to read it in detail, I've just flicked through it. I have seen a pre-release copy at a GW store and seen it in action in a couple of games in the same store. The background section of the rule book is huge and looks great, but I was a bit disappointed that there is no detailed army page for either Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters. The D6 Generation did an awesome and detailed podcast on 5th Edition with Yakface from Dakka Dakka which is worth a listen to get the low down on the changes.

Personally, I think the biggest game changing change is the change to having only troops holding objectives. Given that 2/3 of all the missions are objective based I think this is going to change alot of lists. I've already tweaked my Witch Hunters list to drop the Dominion squad I had (they're a Fast Attack choice) in favour of another Sister squad. I'm also going to drop my Assassins in favour of some Celestians and the changes to the CC rules mean that the the Assassins (either DCA or Eversor) can't clear their kill zone on the charge so they're just going to get piled on and squashed. Maybe I'm misreading this but that's the ways I'm seeing it.

No comments: