Friday 3 December 2010

Urban War Triad Kabuki

I've had these Urban War miniatures sitting in their box unpainted and unloved for over year now, so I thought I'd break these out for a forthcoming painting competition on at the club. This year, non-GW models are allowed to enter which I don't think they were last year. The Triad Kabuki figure was my favourite one in the set so I thought I'd have a go at her.





I've been trying to push myself a bit further with my painting recently, which is one of the reasons I chose this. It really wanted to be painted in bold colour, and cried out for some free hand work. I generally suck at painting both red and yellow, but I'm pleased with how they've come out. The picture makes the red look a bit shiny which it actually isn't.

The red was done with a Mechrite Red base, Devlan Mud wash then layers of Red Gore going up to Blood Red. For the yellow I started with Iyanden Dark Sun, followed by Sunburst Yellow with more and more Skull White added.

I know what I can do differently next time to improve it as the paint isn't that smooth in some areas, but overall I'm very pleased.

The base is a resin insert from Fenris Games, one of their city ruins/apocalypse ones. These are nice bases, though there's a couple that might be a bit awkward to position figures on. They're very reasonably prices though, about £4 for 10 shipped.

No comments: