I've shared the pictures on Twitter and on the "Citizen of Pulp City" FB group, and a few people have said they were interested in a tutorial on how I built them. It's a fairly simple method (if I can do it, anyone can). This will be the first part of the tutorial, where I will cover materials used, tools and paints.
This is most of the stuff I used I think in the photo:
-Pencil - Marking up foam core, cork and marking for freehand work.
-Rulers - Steel one for cutting against, plastic one for just measuring
-Square - Useful for getting straight lines when you're cutting
-Heavy blade- I use a heavy Stanley knife with a fixed blade for cutting foam core, cork, card etc. Whatever your preferred knife is, it needs to be strong and sharp.
-Hobby knife - General blade for lighter cutting and scoring
-Green stuff - Used for making details like the bin bags, Coke can etc.
-Clay shapers - Used for green stuff sculpting.
-Superglue - For small scale gluing when I need something to stick quickly. I use Loctite Ultra Gel by preference, but just use whatever your favourite brand is.
-General glue - This is the UHU stuff here, I've been using it to stick walls together as it dries a bit quicker than PVA and holds things together when drying. Could easily use superglue, PVA or a hot glue gun here though.
-PVA glue - Large scale sticking of stuff and sealing surfaces. Mine's from Poundland, works fine.
Not shown in the photo (as I forgot them):
-All purpose household filler - Poundland again. I believe they call this spackle in the US.
-Fine point pen - 0.5mm tip black ink pen, I use this for marking the pavements.
-PC and printer
-Matt varnish - Sealing weathering powders
-Gloss varnish - For the bin bags
-Philips screwdriver - Used this for scoring the cracks into the buildings.
-5mm Foam core - This is what I used for the walls in all the buildings. A1 sheet from Hobbycraft is £4 and you can get pretty much a whole table of terrain from it.
-Artist mount board - It's thick card basically. £3 from Hobbycraft for an A1 sheet. I use this for roofs mainly.
-5mm Cork floor tiles - These are used for basing mostly to give the foam core walls more strength from a solid base. The only ones I can find in shops are sealed on one side, and unsealed on the other. I haven't found a modelling difference between the two sides yet, I'm still experimenting on that. These are £9 for 9 12"x12" tiles from Wickes, should be enough to do my whole board.
-Wire mesh - I used this for the windows on the repair shop. Mine's from a peanut feeder for birds, Poundland purchased.
-Thin card - Cereal box. This is used for doors and that kind thing.
-Coffee stirrers - Used for wood panelling and for making palettes. Also useful for smoothing filler. Easily borrowed from your favourite coffee chain. I bought 1000 in fact, for the price of a coffee in Starbucks, on eBay.
-Match sticks - Window ledges and frames. Got these on eBay for very little.
Not shown in the picture:
-Printer paper - For printing posters, signs etc.
-Self adhesive paving stones - Mine are from eBay and labelled as "OO Self Adhesive Stone Paving Slabs" by Metcalfe. Not strictly required, you could use card instead, but I used these for the stone work on the buildings.
Paints and brushes:
-Grey spray paint - I'm using Plasticoat grey matt spray for this, but use your preferred brand. I like the Plasticoat one as it's a fairly mid-tone grey, it covers well and it's very matt. Foam core takes paint well so I think one can should be enough for the 7 building I have planned.
-Various greys - Some grey tones for drybrushing the sprayed building. I use Dulux testor pots in 3 shades (mid-grey, light grey, white) for this as it is more economical to use household paint than model paint for terrain.
-Selection of model paints and washes - Your usual miniature paints for various details.
-Weathering powder - Used for soot effects, dirt round the building bases and the pavements. I use Forge World Dark Earth and Black Soot, but lots of others are available.
-Selection of brushes - I used everything from a 000 point brush to a 1" paint brush.
Most of this stuff I already had. I would estimate I've spent about £25 so far on materials, which should be enough to cover me for the whole table.
So that's part 1, I'll post a part 2 soon covering the build.